You are here:
Help with Specific Types of Content
The Department of Justice attempts to provide content which is compatible with as many browsers and computer types as possible. As well as the regular pages and graphics, you will find that the Department of Justice pages sometimes contain the following types of content:
Attachment formats - PDF
PDF is a format based on Adobe's PostScript printing language which is used to display and print precisely-formatted documents via the web. Most documents available for downloading on the the Department Of Justice, Victoria site are in PDF format. To view or print these documents, you will need to install the Adobe Acrobat® Reader. If you have the Adobe Acrobat® Reader you can PRINT to your local printer. To VIEW the document via the internet, place your mouse cursor over the Adobe® icon and click the left mouse button. To SAVE the document to your computer, place your mouse cursor over the Adobe® icon and click the right mouse button. Compatibility Issues: The Adobe Acrobat® Reader is required to read PDF documents. If you don't have it, you can download it from the Adobe website.
All content in this site can be accessed using the search function. The search box is located in the top right hand corner of every page. The search engine searches all page content as well as the content of all attached documents.
Search results display according to their relevance to the search term used.
The type of document found is indicated by the icon located to the left of the title of the document. Web pages are indicated by an Internet Explorer icon. PDF documents by an Adobe Acrobat icon. Microsoft Office documents are represented by their standard icons - Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.
Viewing PDF Documents
Search queries will often return documents which are in PDF format. There are two option for viewing these documents from the search results page:
- Quick View - Click on the Quick View link in the search result, under the item title, to view a text version of the PDF. This version will omit all images and graphic formatting from the display. As a result the document will open more quickly than the full version displayed in Adobe Acrobat format.
- Open in Adobe Acrobat - Click on the Adobe Acrobat icon located to the left of the item title. This will open the full version of the document. All images and graphic elements will be displayed.
Navigation refers to the features built into this website which help you move around the site and locate the information you require. In this site the main navigation features are:
Subject Navigation - the Left Hand Menu
The subject navigation is located on the left hand side of every page. It provides a topic based way of browsing for content.
Each subject is sub-divided into sub-topics. Click on a subject term in the left hand menu for any sub-topics for that term to display. Sub-topics are displayed in another colour. Up to three levels of sub-topics can be displayed in this manner.
To browse the full list of topics select the Site Map on the Utility bar.
Utility Bar - Top Horizontal Menu
The Utility bar provides access to features which help you use this site. It includes:
- Home - takes you to the home (or front) page of this site.
- Site Map - a listing of all major site areas. The site is primarily arranged by topic.
- Accessibility - this site area provides information on how people with a disability can access this site and features that have been encorporated into the site to aid this process
- Contact - key contact details for business areas of the Department of Justice.
- Feedback - provides access to a form through which you can provide feedback on any aspect of this site.
- Help - provides information on using this site.
Format Bar - Middle Horizontal Menu
This menu provides you with access to information on this site according to its format.
- Services - provides a profile of key service offered to the Victorian public by the Department of Justice
- Publications - provides an alphabetical listing of all publications available via this site
- Forms - provides an alphabetical listing of all forms available for download, or online, via this site.
- Links - provides an alphabetical listing of all internet sites referenced on this site. This includes Justice Portfolio sites as well as other non-Justice internet sites relevant to the content of this site.
- Translations - provides a list of Department of Justice publications which are available in languages other than English.
- Business areas - provides a profile of Department of Justice business areas including description and contact details.
- Legislation - provides an alphabetical listing of links to Justice related Victorian legislation.
In this site most pages contain right-hand menus which provide links to related content. This content falls into the following categories:
- Related pages - other pages in this site which have content which is relevant to the page you are currently viewing.
- Related publications - publications relevant to the page you are currently viewing. It may include publications which have been referred to in the text Each publications page will either provide the publication as a download or will provide details of how you can go about obtaining a copy of the publication.
- Specific types of content - on some pages menus will list related forms, services or translations.
- Related weblinks and legislation - lists both Department of Justice or external websites which may be relevant to the page you are viewing.
Breadcrumbs are a series of links located at the top of each content page. They show you exactly where the page you are currently viewing is located in the site. You can click on any of the terms in the breadcrumb trail to visit that site area.
How to print
To print any page on this site use the print function in your browser. In Internet Explorer this can be done using the print icon on the standard toolbar at the top of the page, or by selecting File > Print from the drop down menus.
The keyboard shortcut Ctrl/Cmd+P can also be used.
Print format button
All pages on this site have a print format button, located at the bottom of the left hand navigation bar. The button has a picture of a printer on it. Click on this button to refresh your browser with a print friendly version of the page you are viewing. The top banner, top navigation, left hand navigation, right hand menus and footer bar will be removed from the page leaving just the primary page content for printing.
After printing click on the "return to normal view" link at the top of the page to refresh the browser again and restore all elements to the view.